Driving to Sorrento

This morning had an early start and I was up at 5:30 AM.  Thank you jet lag! Since it was so early I went to go on my phone to see what was happening back at home but the wifi was so spotty.  I thought it may have been bad connection but later I realized that they don't turn all of the routers on until 7AM.  Waking up early had its perks! I was able to go to the rooftop that I photographed yesterday and see the sunrise. 

The hotel has two breakfast rooms that you can choose from and they both overlook Piazza Novona.  Breakfast in Europe is like a typical American breakfast with pancakes and syrup.  Instead, it's meat, bread, cheese and quiches. 

After breakfast we left our hotel to go see the Pope speak! We were told we had to get to the Vatican very early or else we wouldn't see him.  Something I love about waking up early in a new city is walking around when no one is around.  As you can see from pictures all of Rome was so quiet and peaceful. 

When we got to the Vatican and went through security it was around 9:30 AM.  We thought we were early since we were told the Pope didn't speak until 10:30 AM but he had already entered the building by the time we got there.  Every Wednesday the Pope speaks and the room was packed!  At the end we waited to see the Pope since we missed him on the way in and you have to be prepared for crowds.  Everyone is pushing towards the front trying to get a glimpse of him.  I went to the back of the room and stood the whole time so when it came time for the Pope to walk back up the aisle I was already in place. 

We were inside the Vatican for a good 2.5 hours.  We got out by noon and the streets were crowded with people.  Our hotel was a 10 minute walk away but I loved winding in and out of streets finding new places.  We didn't rely to much on a map as we just figured out where we were with each turn.  There are so many places tucked within buildings which you can easily miss.  From Rome we drove to Sorrento where we will be for the next few days.  The drive normally takes about 3.5 hours but we hit major traffic that tacked on another hour.  By the time we arrived it was dark but the town is lit up beautifully for Christmas.